Built using cruck framing of oak, the original building is of, at the latest, 16th-century construction, but is likely to be older.[1] Major changes were made to the building by Thomas Anderton, the owner in 1702. The west gable of the barn is dated 1702 but is possibly older and has the initials A TAR (Thomas, Alice, and Robert Anderton).[4]
By the early 20th century the Rivington Hall, farm and barns were owned by Lord Leverhulme and on his instructions the architect Jonathan Simpson made further substantial alterations to the barn. Architecturally, the barn is as Leverhulme had it restored, with the cruck beams infilled with sandstone block walls and a slate roof. The Tudor-style timber-framed porch and mullion windows are 20th-century additions[3]